Monday, December 5, 2011

Chili times? Chili served!


There is nothing like a big pot of chili on a cold winter’s night. I work every weekend, so putting on a crockpot of chili before I head out to work is a relief. And chili is so easy to make! Simply throw some ground beef in a frying pan, add some onion and some chili mix and brown it. When it is thoroughly cooked, you drain off the fat and set aside. I then get out my crockpot. Yesterday I tried one of the crock pot liners you can buy. This way the cleanup is so easy. It worked out great!
Once the crock pot liner is in, I add in one can of mild chili beans, and two cans of Hunts diced tomatoes with sweet onion. Yum! Now we need some liquid. So I fill the chili bean can almost to the top and add some chili mix from a package. I stir it up and pour it into the crockpot. Then I add in the ground beef I browned and put the crock pot on low and let it go all day. What a wonderful smell to come home to!
When you serve chili, it is so fun to add toppings. You can put lots of the oyster crackers on top, or bake some corn bread to serve with it. I like to make the corn bread in a mini muffin pan. I also enjoy using tortilla chips and scooping the chili up with them. So good! A good dose of cheddar cheese melted over the top of the chili is a must. Some also enjoy sprinkling fresh onions or a dollop of sour cream on top to make their chili complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment