Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Lessons my pets have taught.

It is hard being a pet owner of the cutest pets in the world! Our family has been blessed with the best of the best of “Pound Pets” that there was to offer.
I decided when I was young, that I would be the mom that said “Yes” when my children asked for pets. My one stipulation is that the children be responsible for said pets. They have to pay for the upkeep and they are responsible for the cleaning, care and feeding of these pets. Luckily, I married a man that was willing to say “Yes” to pets too. (Although sometimes, he was railroaded by me!)
At our peak, we had two dogs, a cat, a hamster, a Guinea pig and a fish. The rodent type pets have passed over the rainbow bridge, but the dogs, cat and fish are still going strong.
It has not been easy for the kids in paying for the care of their animals. They have had to babysit and pet sit to earn the money for rodent bedding and food. I have taught them how to use pet store reward points and coupons to save money.
Can I say this has worked perfectly? No, defiantly not.  They must take turns cleaning the cat box each week and that has been a constant struggle of reminders and nagging! And when those rodent cages started to smell,  force and threats were put into action. But in the long run, my children have benefited so much and enjoyed their pets very much. They have learned about responsibility, care and loss, but mostly joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment