Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is my all-time favorite holiday! I enjoy it the most because it is the kick off to the Christmas holiday! I have such fond memories of going to Grandmas on Thanksgiving. I had three cousins who were our best friends and we would play games, eat too much turkey and have too much fun!
I host Thanksgiving every year. I remember cooking my first turkey! When we were first married, I purchased a turkey on sale and cooked it for Father’s Day. It was actually a big success and when we purchased our first home, I began cooking Thanksgiving for my family. Since then we have had babies and moved, but I still cook Thanksgiving every year! I have not messed with the menu too much over the years. The faces along the way have changed a bit, and the pies served have changed a bit too, but overall, the tried and true, mashed potatoes and stuffing lead the way!
This year I am making a new variation of the sweet potatoes and I’m not serving wild rice, but otherwise, tradition rules! My sister in law will bring the green bean casserole and I will pass off the boxed stuffing as homemade. My dad was a stuffing purist, but never caught onto the switch! Unfortunately, now my dad has dementia, but he will be here, laughing and having fun and for that we are truly blessed!
So, the turkey is thawing in the fridge. It takes a good week to thaw a 24 pounder! And, God willing, we will all be together Thursday for food, family and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment