Monday, April 9, 2012

Stories from everyday life

Stories are all around us. As I was driving to work the other day, my eyes and attention were diligently focused on the road ahead. Okay, okay, so occasionally the eye would stray and I would take in a flowering tree or the activities of someone in passing. One such thing that caught my eye was a woman getting into her car with a small child size rocking chair. Questions tumbled through my mind. Where was she going? Who was the chair for? Where did she get it from? It got me to thinking about how this chance observance could be put into a story.

Supposing I give the lady a name, say Mary. Other observances about Mary had showed me that she drove a nice enough car and she was neither old, nor young. She was old enough to perhaps be a new grandmother. Perhaps she was taking the rocking chair to her daughter’s house to celebrate the birth of her first grandchild. Mary was in the parking lot of a condominium complex. Perhaps Mary was trying to make room in her condo to take on a roommate because hard times had come upon her and she needed financial help. Perhaps she was taking the rocking chair to the resale shop or consignment store to make some more money off of it? Either way, a story can be born.

It is amazing how so many everyday occurrences and observances can be built upon to make stories. What did you see today?

No comments:

Post a Comment