Monday, January 23, 2012

Writing ideas


I decided to go looking for writing ideas after I went to the bathroom at my daughters school. Weird train of thought? Actually, not! On the back of the stall door was the beginning of a story. A sentence actually, with a note from the librarian encouraging the students to use the sentence to build a story off of. Apparently, she does this frequently and places them at various places in the building. Then she leaves a note for the students to write the story and turn it into her. I don’t know if she rewards them if they do, but I thought, “This is a great way to help writers block!”

So I moved on to the world wide web to see what was out there. I had no doubt I would find some wonderful resources, and I was not disappointed. One place was called “Writers Block 911”. You can “dial in” what you need help with such as: settings, characters, dramatic entrances and my favorite “kill a character”. You can also ask the “Webook” community for help with your story. I am going to explore this site and hope to find some creative jogs to get my writing more.

One suggestion is to use a photograph as a jumpstart for freewriting. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I wonder if that is true. So many pictures out there that can actually leave you speechless too! Will explore this a little more and see how it goes. Might be nice to post the beginnings of a story instead of just my own thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment