Monday, January 23, 2012

Life moves on


I found out my uncle passed away yesterday. It is my father’s brother. They were actually 13 years apart, so they grew up in a distant way. My cousins are all older than I am, although my cousin Lisa came late in life for them and she is closer to my age.

Death sure makes you reflect on things. I wish things could go back to the way they were, and that nothing would change. But I appreciate how life goes on and how families grow and bond.

I remember when we were little and had to go visit my Dad’s parents at Christmas. I reflect now on how hard it would have been for them. My grandparents were so much older, and I realize now how much they enjoyed our visits, but we were so bored!! My other grandparents were younger and took us everywhere and did so many things with us. We would be playing at their house with my cousins (who were just our age) and we would have to stop in the middle and go visit my Dads parents. Oh, the whining and kicking and screaming they had to endure. It was not bad at their house. They always gave us nice gifts (I’m sure purchased by my mom ;-), but they lived in a tiny house and we were expected to “visit”. How I wish I could go back and “visit” now!!

I remember how outspoken my uncles wife was. We were kind of afraid of her! But I loved my uncle. He and my dad would get together and it was like looking at twins. Their voices even sounded the same. And my uncle had a great sense of humor. I really appreciated him. I am glad he is in a better place now. No more suffering. Again, wishing he were here, but glad he could let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment